Asking Rates Grow: Key Takeaways from 2Q22 NIC MAP Vision Actual Rates Report
September 6, 2022
Data from the recently released 2Q2022 NIC MAP Vision Actual Rates Report showed that for the sample of Actual Rates data contributors, all three care segments (independent living, assisted living, and memory care) hit record high year over year growth of asking rates for the second quarter in a row. In the recently released report, monthly data of actual rates and leasing velocity are presented through June 2022, including data on rate discounting and move-in/move-out trends. Read on for further key takeaways from the recently released report.
Seattle was added as a newly covered metro market in the second quarter Actual Rates Report. NIC MAP Vision continues to work to onboard new data contributors and is dedicated to reporting more metros. It is only with the support of Actual Rates data contributors and officially certified Actual Rates software partners that expanded metro-level reporting is now available. For more information on which metropolitan markets are now available to NIC MAP Vision subscribers, please contact a product expert at NIC MAP Vision today.
A few of the key takeaways from the 2Q2022 NIC MAP Vision Seniors Housing Actual Rates Report are listed below. These key takeaways are from the Segment Type report. Care segments refer to the levels of care and services provided to a resident living in an assisted living, memory care, or independent living unit.
- Asking rate growth accelerated in second quarter 2022. All three senior housing segment types– independent living (IL), assisted living (AL), and memory care (MC)– experienced the highest recorded growth in the time series for year-over-year asking rates in 2Q2022. Notably, IL had the largest year-over-year increase for asking rates at 9.4% in June 2022, followed by MC (8.9% in April 2022) and AL (8.7% in April 2022).
- Average initial rates for residents moving in were below asking rates for all three care segments in second quarter 2022. Of the three segments, IL segments had the most initial rate discounting of 10.5% ($388) in June 2022. This discount was equivalent to 1.3 months on an annualized basis. Initial rate discounting for IL segments has not been this strong since April 2020 when it was at 10.6% ($355). MC segments had an initial rate discounting of 8.9% ($691) in May 2022. On an annualized basis, this discount is equivalent to 1.1 months. AL segments had initial rate discounting of 7.5% ($434) in June 2022, up from a discount of 6.6% ($352) one year prior in June 2021. The June 2022 discount was equivalent to 0.9 month on an annualized basis.
Move-ins outpaced move-outs for April, May, and June 2022 for all three care segments (IL, AL, and MC).
- Memory care segments reached a pace of move-ins of 3.8% of inventory in June 2022. Move-outs were at 3.1% in June 2022 for MC, below the recent peak of 3.9% in January 2022 following the post-holiday spike in Omicron.
Additional key takeaways are available to NIC MAP Vision subscribers in the full report.
About the Report
The NIC MAP Vision Seniors Housing Actual Rates Report provides aggregate national data from approximately 300,000 units within more than 2,600 properties across the U.S. operated by 25 to 30 senior housing providers. The operators included in the current sample tend to be larger, professionally managed, and investment-grade operators as we currently require participating operators to manage 5 or more properties. Note that this monthly time series is comprised of end-of-month data for each respective month.
Interested in Participating?
The Actual Rates Data Initiative is an effort to expand senior housing data and we are looking for operators who have five or more properties to participate. We have expertise in extracting data from industry leading software systems, such as Yardi, PointClickCare, Alis, MatrixCare, Glennis Solutions, and Eldermark and can facilitate the process for you.
Operators contributing data to the NIC MAP® Actual Rates report receive a complimentary report which allows them to compare their own data against national, and metropolitan market benchmarks.
In addition to receiving a complimentary report, your organization benefits through:
- More informed benchmarking, strategic planning, and day-to-day business operations,
- Increased transparency, aligning with other commercial real estate assets in terms of data availability,
- Saved time, Actual Rates data is collected electronically directly from operators’ corporate offices, removing the need for telephone calls to individual properties, and
- Enhanced investment and efficiency across the sector.
This blog was originally published on NIC Notes.
The National Investment Center for Seniors Housing & Care (NIC), a 501(c)(3) organization, works to enable access and choice by providing data, analytics, and connections that bring together investors and providers. The organization delivers the most trusted, objective, and timely insights and implications derived from its analytics, which benefit from NIC’s affiliation with NIC MAP Vision, the leading provider of comprehensive market data for senior housing and skilled nursing properties. NIC events, which include the industry’s premiere conferences, provide sector stakeholders with opportunities to convene, network, and drive thought-leadership through high-quality educational programming. To see all that NIC offers, visit nic.org.
NIC MAP Vision gives operators, lenders, investors, developers, and owners unparalleled market data for the seniors housing and care sector.